Food- Simple Vegan Recipe for the Whole Family
Including a variety of plant-based foods into your family’s diet enables you to meet your family’s nutritional needs. This, however, doesn’t mean that they have to eat lots of steamed broccoli and salads. Adding legumes to your vegetables is a perfect way to ensure that your dinner time never gets boring. Make sure to swap your meals and serve comfort foods that are made vegan, allowing your kids to discover their likes and dislikes. Since we all have different taste preferences, including children, we have highlighted the best kid-friendly recipes to offer something for everyone. They are easy to prepare and suitable for picky eaters as well.
Mexican Black Bean Hand Pies
Inspired by South American empanadas, these child-friendly flaky vegan pies are delicious finger foods that also work for parties. The recipe includes a store-bought pastry and pantry-friendly ingredients.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped clove garlic
- 1 chopped small red capsicum(bell pepper) or half a large one
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. Ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp. ground chili (optional)
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 can black beans-drained
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup frozen corn kernels
- A squeeze of lime or lemon juice
- 4 sheets of flaky puff pastry (vegan if required)
- Soy milk or milk of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (390°F) fan bake.
- Heal olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, and red capsicum with oregano, cumin, chili, and salt for a few minutes, until softened and fragrant. Add the black beans, tomato paste, and water, then simmer for 5 minutes. Roughly mash some of the mixture using a potato masher to create a thick but chunky texture. Stir through the frozen corn and cook for a few more minutes. Add a squeeze of lime or lemon and taste to adjust seasoning if needed.
- Cut 11-12cm (approximately 4.5″) circles from pastry sheets. Fill each pastry with about a tablespoon of filling (avoid overfilling), lightly moisten one edge, fold in half to close, then crimp the edges together with a fork. Prick each pie with a fork a few times to let out steam. Brush with a little soy milk to glaze.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the pastry is deep golden brown.
Nutrition Information (per serving):
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Sodium: 329 mg | Potassium: 159mg | Fibre: 3g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 179IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 25mg | Iron: 2mg
For a balanced meal, serve these vegan pies with a fresh salad or steamed greens.
Grilled Asparagus and Shiitake Tacos
These delicious tacos are fully vegan and fully loaded, perfect for an afternoon snack. The best part is that it only takes 15 minutes for the rich filling to be ready.
Yield: 4 servings
Cook time: 0 hours 15 minutes
Total time: 0 hours 20 minutes
- 3 tbsp., canola oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- 1 tsp. ground chipotle chili pepper
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- (8oz.) kgs Shiitake mushrooms stems discarded
- 1 bunch green onions, trimmed
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1 cup, homemade or prepared guacamole
- Lime wedges
- Cilantro springs
- Hot sauce for serving
- Heat grill on medium. Combine oil, garlic, chipotle, and salt in a large baking dish. Add asparagus, shiitakes, and green onions; toss to coat. Grill asparagus until tender and lightly charred, turning occasionally; 5- 6 minutes. Grill shiitakes and green onions, until lightly charred, turning occasionally;4-5 minutes. Transfer vegetables to cutting board.
- Cut asparagus and green onions into 2-half lengths and slice shiitakes. Serve with corn tortillas, guacamole, lime wedges, cilantro, and hot sauce.
Nutritional information (per serving)
Calories: 350kcal | Protein: 7g | Carbohydrate: 36g | Total Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Dietary Fibre: 11g | Sodium: 445 mg
Cheesy vegetable lasagna
This dairy-free meal is irresistibly creamy, secretly healthy, and easily customizable. It is entirely whole food-plant based, oil-free and lighter compared to meat and cheese lasagna. It is the best creamy dairy-free lasagna with vegan ragù and high-protein cheese sauce!
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 30minutes
Cook time: 45minutes
Total time: 1hour 15 minutes
- 1 box lasagna noodles, whole grain or gluten-free (if needed) 9 sheets
- 5 cups fresh spinach (150g) finely chopped
- 2 cups almonds ricotta
- 1 recipe vegan cheese sauce
- For the vegan ragù
- 1 chopped onion
- 215oz jars marinara sauce (840ml total)
- 4 cups finely chopped veggies (carrot, zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, mushrooms)
- Salt, pepper, oregano, basil to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium and add your finely chopped vegetables along with the onion. Sauté in some vegetable broth until everything is slightly soft, then add marinara sauce. Mix with a spoon and season the ragù to taste, then set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400° F (200°C) and get a baking dish.
- Get your pre-made vegan ricotta and sauce ready for layering.
Assemble the lasagna
- Using a large spoon or ladle, assemble the vegan lasagna in this way; Ragù, cheese sauce (about 40% of the amount you’re using), lasagna sheets, spinach ricotta mixture, lasagna sheets, ragù, lasagna sheets, ragù and finish off with the rest of your cheese sauce.
- Cover the baking dish with a lid or foil, place into the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for another 5 minutes, uncovered, until the cheese turns slightly brown. Watch closely, so it doesn’t burn.
- Finally, remove the baking dish from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before cutting.
Nutritional information (per serving)
Total Fat: 21g
Saturated Fat: 2g
Trans Fat: 0g
Unsaturated Fat: 17g
Preparing a meal your entire family is willing to eat can be challenging. To ensure dinner time never gets boring or your kids shouting, “I will not eat that!” Try swapping meals and serve those that are family-friendly. You can also involve your kids when preparing meals to help develop their curiosity about food and their cooking skills.